Today history is made with the inauguration of the 45th president of the United States. It’s the historic moment many were not hoping for and many Americans still oppose the new President. As we continue to move forward, it has never been more important to get involved and fight for our values. Like our California Senator Kamala Harris said in her election night speech “We must not despair. We must not be overwhelmed or throw up our hands. It is time to roll up our sleeves and fight for who we are.”
As many protest erupt in D.C. and all over the nation, it has never been more important to practice our freedom of speech and stand for who we are. It’s time to get involved and support the organizations fighting for a better future. Here is our recommendation on what you can get involved in and support what you are passionate about.
- Local Officials: Support and get to know your local elected officials, as they are the one who can help create change and support the issues you care about.
- Immigration: Look into organizations that are supporting immigrants on a path to citizenship and support their rights as humans.
- Women’s Rights: Support a woman’s right to chose and women’s rights during a president that has been highly criticized over his treatment on women.
- Muslim: A group that has been under extreme discrimination based on religion; help the education in miscommunication.
- LGBTQ: A community that has seen great success but continues to suffer many setbacks and discrimination.
No matter how you might still feel about the presidential outcome, this is not a time to sit back and do nothing. Make a future all your own, and participate in organizations you feel passionate about. Even if it’s a simple gesture to help a stranger, the people around you are your audience and look to you for guidance. What happened in our political system happened, but it’s up to us “the people” to continue fighting for who we are. We will always be stronger together.